I was introduced to photography by my father, years ago. I started with film cameras, the only game in town in those days. Working mostly with black and white film, I loved the soothing feeling and the serenity of working in the dark room. I was fascinated by the magic of light: seized on film and coming to life on a piece of paper.
I have always been intrigued by the way taking pictures allows me to connect with other persons and unfamiliar environments—even from behind the protective shield of a camera— and how through the revealing viewfinder, I could find and touch—even if slightly— the essence of my subjects and the emotions they transmit. I enjoy taking pictures of people and places. There is so much to uncover, if we only take the time to see when we look.
It has been a vastly gratifying experience. Caught by the digital revolution, I no longer work with film, but black and white remain my favorite colors.
- Soho Photo Gallery, New York City, juried group show, July 5-22, 2017.
- United Nations, New York City. “Moments and Movements” (with Wagner Santiago and Lazar Zarupski), organized by Leitmotiv Arts, May 2-6, 2016.
- United Nations, New York City. “Road trip, Death Valley”, organized by the United Nations Portuguese Language Society, September 9-13, 2014.
- Gertrude Ederle Recreation Center, New York City. “It takes two to tango, and then some”; slide show with Caroline Kessler; readings by Nancy Green; organized by Manhattan Recreation, June 30, 2014.
- United Nations, New York City. “Parading in NYC”, organized by United Nations Photographic Society, June 28 -July 2, 2004.
Work also displayed in the following websites:
- Dance Indo-American Arts Council, Inc. (http://www.iaac.us/IAAC_dance_fest2016/photos8.htm)
- Friends of Argentine Tango (https://www.friendsofargentinetango.org/gallery)
- Tango for All (http://tangoforall.org/)
- “Tango: Embracing New York City”. May 2017. Available from http://www.blurb.com/b/7967327-tango-embracing-new-york-city.
- International Center of Photography. Portrait Lighting on Location: Natural and Flash, with Bobbi Lane. July 24-28, 2017.
- B&H Portfolio Development Program, November 2016-April 2017.
- International Center of Photography. Mastering the Portable Flash and Portable-Studio Lighting Kit, with Nelson Bakerman. August 8-12, 2016.
- International Center of Photography. Essential Components of the Portrait: Lighting, Composition and Subject, with Ken Collins. Fall 2005.
- International Center of Photography. Photography III, in Black and White, with Kristin Lacombe. Fall 2004.
- International Center of Photography. Photography II, in Black and White, with Kristin Lacombe. Spring 2004.